Across Ohre River from the Main Fortress of Terezin, stands the Small Fortress which was built end of 18th centery in honour of Empress Maria Theresa. It was used as a prison for army offenders as well as people involoved in the national liberation in Central and South-eastern European. In 1940 the Prague Gestapo Police Prison was set up in here, housed people arrested for different signs of resistance to the Nazi regime. Among all, the Jewish inmates faced the most harsh treatment. Most of the inmates in the Small Fortress was just a stop-over, as they later sent on to Nazi courts or other prisons or penitentiaries and concentration camps. There is the record of 2600 prisoners died in Terezin due to over crowded harsh living conditions, diseases and torture by wardens and guards.

sml_fortress01.jpg 
A National Cemetery was laid out in front of the Small Fortress, reburied the remains of some 10,000 victims of the Gestapo Police Prison, the Jewish Ghetto in Terezin and the concentration camp in Litomerice.

sml_fortress02.jpg
Administrative yard

sml_fortress03.jpg 
Gate with inscription “Arbeit macht frei”, so typical of most Nazi concentration camps and, on the contrary, a slogan unusual in a Gestapo prison, leads into the First yard.

sml_fortress04.jpg
Prisoners’ cell

sml_fortress05.jpg 
Bathroom and delousing station

sml_fortress06.jpg 
Solitary cells

sml_fortress07.jpg
The death gate through a seemingly everlasting narrow path leads to the execution ground.

Jing

Advertisements