On our itenery sheet, it writes, “Puncak Bukit Rimau Senippong, Bukit
Rimau – 3 hours walk in the jungle, stay at campsite overnight…” It
is hardly a challenge for me, 3 hours! No sweat! In fact, we were the
first group of travellers who was signed up to trek on this trail. 3
hours was the estimated trekking time for the local guides.
Unfortunately we took 7.5 hours.

The second day morning after arrival to Long Pasia, Noor (our guide)
and James (our porter) packed total of 3 days food supplies, and Alex,
Kok Fui and myself cheerfully put on smart looking gears, we were all
set and ready around 9am. Led by Noor, James tailed end, we heading
off to the jungle. Oh yes! How can I forget to mention Noor little
well behaved doggy Muntal, who followed us all 3 days in the jungle…


I am proud to be in the first group who trekked into this nearly
untouched jungle, located south of Sabah, border of Kalimantan. Though
the walking trail in the jungle was barely seen, most of it relied on
Noor to ‘curve’ a path out by using his ‘barang’ knife.

The journey was great, highly oxygenated air in the jungle was
refreshing and energising. Along the path, we encountered a wide
varieties of vegetation, fungus on rotten wood, ferns crow madly on
old orks, herbs etc. It was indeed the heaven for naturalist.


We were also constantly attacked by another blood sucking creature
other than mosqito – the mountain leeches.

We finally arrived the campsite at 4.30pm. The dark falls quite early
in the jungle. Noor and James immediately cleaning the sleeping
quarter and started cooking tomato soup and vegetables. Tomato soup
has become our favourite dish during the jungle trek. While the two
were busy settled in, Alex, Kok Fui and myself slowly setting our foot free…
took off Adidas Kampong, leech socks, then socks and revealing
our aching toes…


I was amazed by how Noor and James substitute the daily equipment with
everything they found in the jungle… With Noor around, nothing is
impossible. Beneath the big rock you see in the photo is our kitchen,
and we rested in the little wooden house at night.

This night, when the flame of the last candle subsided, the forest
became completely pitch black. We were lying flat in one row on the
wooden plank, fully cocooned in our sleeping bags respectively,
accompanied by the orchestrated sound of nature – hum, peep, buzz,
murmur, bell, boom, hoot, snort, cuckoo, moan, chirp, scream, scram,
squeal, gibber, pipe, bark, jug-jug, drone, woof, whistle, bellow, and
snore, of course.

I thought I heard telephone rang as well… what a city folk I am.